guix-devel

Re: Have GPGPU support in guix?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Have GPGPU support in guix?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:46:07 +0200

Hello,

Fis Trivial <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:

[...]

>> Free software that you might find of interest is POCL, an OpenCL
>> implementation (not yet packaged in Guix):
>>
>>   https://github.com/pocl/pocl
>>

> I mentioned it in the original mail. But packaging these thing requires
> knowledge for kernel space stuffs, like kernel module for GPU, which I
> don't have. So, any help is appreciated.

Oh sorry, I had overlooked that.

You wrote:

> However, I wanted to manage all of these with guix so that we can have a
> unified dependency tree. Currently there are a few options for OpenCL
> runtime. Namely, beignet, neo from Intel, ROCm stack from AMD, the POCL
> project and the implementation in mesa.
>
> I tried to package beignet (an old OpenCL runtime from Intel) but it
> wasn't successful due to failed tests (it failed from recognizing
> device).
> https://github.com/trivialfis/guixpkgs/blob/master/opencl.scm

Regarding failed tests, I think that tests that expect GPU devices to be
able are likely to fail: it could be that the relevant /dev nodes are
inaccessible to the build users, or, more importantly, it could be that
we’re building on a GPU-less machine such as our build farm.  So these
tests would have to be skipped.

Anyway, I would very much welcome packages in this area!

Ludo’.