guix-devel

Re: my latest blog post

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: my latest blog post
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 16:02:54 +0200

Fis Trivial <address@hidden> writes:

> time. Little off topic, what I want to say is that, if I didn't tried to
> evaluate any code from string, how come a modern interpreter can tell me
> the error is happened in "unknown file" "unknown line"? Especially the
> "unknown file".

I cannot answer this without more context.

In the case of Guix this sometimes happens because of code staging,
which is described in detail here:

    https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.00833

It’s a known limitation that is not easy to solve in general.

> So, in general, I believe that, if the guile project still have the
> desire of making some waves, user friendliness should be the first
> priority. Not those improvement mentioned in the manual like
> implementing python.

Different people work on different things that they find interesting.
It’s not a good idea to tell other people what they should spend their
volunteering time on.  Somebody who currently works on bringing Python
to the Guile VM may be in a unique position to do just that, but would
be a terrible choice for the job of improving compiler messages.

A volunteer project of this size simply doesn’t work this way.

I do know, though, that a discussion on address@hidden is not going
to lead to the desired outcome in Guile.  Only work on Guile can achieve
that.  For discussions about Guile, to submit proposals and to volunteer
your time for implementing the proposals, please continue this
discussion with the Guile community on address@hidden

--
Ricardo