guix-devel

Re: Python 2 retirement — what should Guix do?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Python 2 retirement — what should Guix do?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 23:15:36 +0200

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> I agree.  My preference is to build Python 2 packages only when
> absolutely needed by another package.

“python2-” packages are mostly a convenience for users who’d like to use
them directly.  For applications, ‘package-with-python2’ takes care of
“converting” complete DAGs to Python 2, so those “python2-” packages
don’t matter much.

It seems too early to get rid of everything Python 2, as Konrad
suggested.

Softening the policy to add “python2-” packages sounds like a good way
to move forward.  For new packages, it’s quite simply: just don’t
provide the “python2-” variant unless it’s required.  For existing
packages, it seems trickier though.  Which packages would we remove and
when?

Thanks,
Ludo’.