guix-devel

Re: Videos

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Videos
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 22:47:58 +0200

Hi Guix,

A while ago I proposed this:

> I’d like us to produce a series of short videos (< 4 mins each) that
> introduce functional package management with Guix.
>
> This is supposed to be aimed at people who are intimidated by the manual
> and wouldn’t know where to begin reading.  Each of the videos should
> focus on a single feature and be on the point.  The final seconds should
> point the viewer to the manual to learn more.
>
> Who would like to be involved in the planning and production of the
> videos?  There are many tasks such as:
>
> * collecting topics that should be covered
> * writing canonical narration scripts for each episode
[…]

I guess it makes sense to start at the beginning :)

What are good first topics that we could introduced in self-contained
videos?  The goal is to show a useful feature (one or two closely
related features per video) without making things confusing.

Ludo recommended to take a look at the slides that people have been
using to present Guix to various audiences:

    https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks

We don’t have to use them as they are, but they could provide some
inspiration to find ways to explain the essence of functional package
management.  We don’t need to start with this abstract topic.  Maybe
it’s better to show features first.

What are your thoughts on this?

--
Ricardo