guix-devel

Re: Suboptimal experience

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: Suboptimal experience
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 18:29:32 +0000

Dan Partelly transcribed 1.0K bytes:

> > Thank you for your advice :) I think you're right: we are still beta, so
> > errors are to be expected from time to time. We should fix them before we
> > go 1.0. That said, the system is robust enough that you can always recover
> > from said errors.
> >

> Good. Now, give current state of affairs combined with my lack of experience
> with the system I wont install it for work anywhere as some fo you guys do,
> but I will install it on an old laptop and I will try to build my Linux
> recovery images with it. This will give me time to learn it and Ill take it
> from here. The truth is that despite the negatives of the first encounter
> the system has some characteristics that are too good to pass. And you where
> right when you told me that is very easy to extend and “make it your own”.
>
> Which is the right mailing list for asking question regarding packaging
> software, hooking into build system and so on (ofc, packaging discussion in
> the limit of your core values ) ?
>
> With thanks

Usually guix-devel, but depending on the matter it might also be help-guix.
We've set up help-guix for (I think) user specific questions in 2016 as well
as usability and general questions. Tinkering around the core and other
topics are for guix-devel, as well as anything development related...
or did we ever define more than a vague scope for them?
-> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/contact/