guix-devel

Re: Using a CDN or some other mirror?

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Using a CDN or some other mirror?
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 18:03:34 +0100

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 03:05:44PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Florian has been looking at the latter approach with IPFS, and perhaps
> we’ll be able to put it in production in a few months and be happy with
> it (I have good hopes given what Florian already demonstrated.)
>
> In the meantime, we need redundant storage, high bandwidth, and high
> availability.  If you know of non-profit organizations that can provide
> such services, please let us know; if not, we’ll resort to a commercial
> service.  The bottom line is: we cannot reasonably pretend to offer such
> a service ourselves.
>
> (Note that we’re just talking about substitute delivery—I wouldn’t want
> to *build* packages on one of these commercial hosting services.)

IPFS would be great because it will allow anyone to lookup and share
substitutes with a low barrier to entry and it allows for redundancy
too. Unlike bittorrent it comes with a built in webinterface and it is
a merkle tree with local deduplication.

I think IPFS is a pretty solid proposition since so many are building
solutions on it.

Pj.