guix-devel

Regarding freedom issues

From: swedebugia
Subject: Regarding freedom issues
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 07:56:01 +0100

Hi.
I had the idea of integrating guix more with GNU when it comes to packages with freedom issues.

The idea is to add to guix a way to inform the user that the package they just searched for is not included in guix because of freedom issues.

The idea is that when we refuse a package to be included we add it with a short reason to this list.

Something like this
(issues
(package odoo
(reason "trapping users by withholding update scripts, see gnu.org/link.to.article"
(alternatives '(dolibarr tryton smbledger ledger hledger gnucash)))

This makes it clear to the user that they can scratch the itch and fix the problems by contacting upstream, fork or whatever or choose a better alternative.

What do you think?
--
Sent from my k-9 mail for Android.