guix-devel

Re: Guix pronunciation

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Guix pronunciation
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 00:52:42 -0400

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 12:13:55PM -0400, mikadoZero wrote:
> I think the confusion around the pronunciation of GIF would probably be
> a worst case scenario.

Non-techies rarely discuss JPEGs or PNGs, while GIFs are a cultural
phenomenon.

How to pronounce 'GIF'? Anyone can weigh in, and it doesn't require any
technical knowledge.

After 30 years, GIF has come to mean 'a brief moving image on a
computer'. It's a tremendous success! A harmless controversy can be
endearing :) I can't think of a single downside for GIF.

On the other hand, I think the most important property of a name is that
it does not change. Google indexes written words, not pronunciation. A
long tail of articles and discussion of Guix is extremely valuable.