guix-devel

Re: Guix pronunciation

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Re: Guix pronunciation
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 22:06:59 +0100

Hello

mikadoZero <address@hidden> writes:

> Doing this duckduckgo site search:  `geeks
> site:https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/` gives me only one match.  Which
> is footnote 1 of section 1 Introduction of the manual.  I do not know of
> anywhere else where the pronunciation of Guix is explicitly stated.
>
> I would like to know what other think about making the pronunciation of
> Guix obvious to anyone who visits the website.  The reasoning for this is
> because the pronunciation of Guix as "geeks" is not intuitive.  I
> think a lot of people will assume it is pronounced some other way.  For
> example "gwixs" or "gooixs".  I was not sure how to say Guix before
> watching a talk on Guix.  It is also easy for people to miss that single
> footnote in the manual on how to pronounce Guix.
>
> I think the confusion around the pronunciation of GIF would probably be
> a worst case scenario.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Interchange_Format#Pronunciation_of_GIF
>
> Here are two projects that have non obvious pronunciation that address
> this issue directly on their project homepage:
>
> https://asciinema.org/
> http://www.lighttpd.net/

I understand your concern but in my opinion, Guix doesn't really need to
enforce or be protective regarding a particular pronunciation. It's an
international and multicultural project, we all more than probably don't
have the same accent and wont't ever pronounce it the same way and I
think it's fine. :)
If someone asks for the correct way to pronounce Guix, IMHO "However you
wish" is ok and if a user needs more, the footnote in the manual can give
some "historical" insights.
I feel like it's more aligned with what Guix is. (in opposition to what
a company would do)
But, really, if the need arises, I don't mind.
Just giving my two cents.

Good evening,

Lprndn