guix-devel

Re: Guix pronunciation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix pronunciation
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:48:40 +0100

Hi,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden>
skribis:

> mikadoZero wrote:
>> Doing this duckduckgo site search:  `geeks
>> site:https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/` gives me only one match.
>> Which
>> is footnote 1 of section 1 Introduction of the manual.  I do not
>> know of
>> anywhere else where the pronunciation of Guix is explicitly stated.
>>
>> I would like to know what other think about making the pronunciation
>> of
>> Guix obvious to anyone who visits the website.
>
> I think this is a good idea!

Yup, why not!

Though I think it’s no big deal: people who’ve seen talks or have read
the manual know how to pronounce it, others may pronounce it in their
own way, but that’s fine.  (Think of all those who pronounce TeX like
“teks” after all those years.  :-))

As for those wondering why: “Guix” is initially just the contraction of
Guile + Nix.

Ludo’.