guix-devel

Re: Guix pronunciation

From: mikadoZero
Subject: Re: Guix pronunciation
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 22:45:43 -0400

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice writes:

> Hullo!
>
> Now I personally think ‘Guix’ looks and sounds good (not fine), and
> our logo is positively stunning, and damn professional too. If that
> makes me biased, so be it ;-)
>
> mikadoZero wrote:
>> I also wanted to know what people think about the "geeks"
>> pronunciation and how it may impact adoption of Guix as it continues
>> to grow long term.  Maybe someday becoming as popular as Debian,
>> macOS or Windows are today (wishful thinking).  For example what if
>> Linux kernel had actually been called Freax. […] Would it have
>> negatively impacted adoption of the kernel.
>
> I really don't think so.  ‘Linux’ is the fellow's name with an X on
> the end.  It's as much of a anti-marketing joke as ‘Freax’ was (or GNU
> or Guix for that matter).  The only reason it seems more familiar is
> because, well, it is.
>
> And (honest question): do we even care?  Such a stupid reason to shoot
> yourself in the foot with an inferior package manager.
>
>> Yes Freax and "geeks"
>
> [and “Linux”]
>
>> are fun.   On the other hand branding is important.
>
> You wrote this as a contradiction but I don't see one.
>
> The world's most valuable and evil company was once called ‘Google’.
> Koooky!

Guix is different from Linux or Google because pronouncing it as
"geeks" gives it a negative connotation and sentiment.  See below.

>> Just to make my bias clear.  I am not a fan of pronouncing Guix
>> "geeks" and find myself thinking of deliberately mispronouncing
>> Guix as "gwixs" or spelling out the letters G U I X when talking
>> to people about Guix.
>
> That's really unfortunate.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R
>
> GUIX® is a trademark of Express Logic, Inc.  All other brands or
> product names are the property of their respective holders.

In my initial message I should have explained why I am not a fan of Guix
pronounced "geeks".  It is because the pronunciation is the same as the
plural of the word geek. The word geek has an ambiguous definition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek  When Guix is pronounced "geeks"
there are negative connotation.

The current participants in the Guix community have a self selection
bias by using alpha or beta software.  This could shows itself through a
focus on the positive definition of geek.  However I am alone in
perceiving the negative connotations and sentiment of the word geek.

The vaderSentiment project on GitHub has sentiment scores for words
which you can see in it's vader_lexicon.txt.  Both geeks and geek have
negative sentiment.