guix-devel

Re: packaging - sentences in description

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: packaging - sentences in description
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 15:54:28 +0100

Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
(description "Golang package for conveniently using named read/write locks. These appear to be especially useful for synchronizing access to session based information in web applications. The common use case is to use the package level functions, which use a package
level set of locks (safe to use from multiple goroutines
simultaneously). However, you may also create a new separate set of locks test. All locks are implemented with read-write mutexes. To use them like a regular
mutex, simply ignore the RLock/RUnlock functions.")
      (license license:public-domain))))

it builds but when I check its description I get [1]:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- address@hidden: time ./pre-inst-env guix lint -c description go-github-com-burntsushi-locker gnu/packages/golang.scm:3202:19: address@hidden: sentences in description should be followed by two spaces; possible infractions at 60, 329, 447

[…]

I copy/pasted and adapted the description from the project homepage, I'm using emacs and auto-fill mode on so it should have followed the
rules in .dir-locals.el

These rules are for formatting Scheme code, they won't touch the insides of strings.

(Which isn't to say there isn't some M-x double-my-spaces somewhere that I don't know of…)

I can't understand where the sentences in my description lacks the two
required spaces: any hint please?

Everywhere? :-p

 Instead. Of. Like. This.
 We.  Write.  Like.  This.

[1] it takes more than five minutes just for the description: I will diligently do it for all my packages :-)... but it's a little bit
discouraging :-S

I can sympathise, but it's not that much work compared to writing code, and about as important.

There will always be people who have never even heard of your package, and there's nothing more frustrating than reading a 1( or 10)-line description and not learning a thing.

Kind regards,

T G-R