guix-devel

Re: packaging - sentences in description

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: packaging - sentences in description
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 17:14:35 +0100

Thanks Tobias,

and also to you, Julien!

now mi package lints like a charm!

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> I copy/pasted and adapted the description from the project
>> homepage,
>> I'm using emacs and auto-fill mode on so it should have followed
>> the
>> rules in .dir-locals.el
>
> These rules are for formatting Scheme code, they won't touch the
> insides of strings.

they help to auto-fill strings also, but don't help with (my lack of
knowledge about) proper sentences handling

I live in emacs but was still not aware (among too much other things) of
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sentences.html#Sentences

IMHO we need to add this info in
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Synopses-and-Descriptions.html#Synopses-and-Descriptions
(valid for non-emacs users also)

I can send a patch if agreed :-)

[...]

>> I can't understand where the sentences in my description lacks
>> the two required spaces: any hint please?
>
> Everywhere? :-p

eh :-)

[...]

>> [1] it takes more than five minutes just for the description: I
>> will
>> diligently do it for all my packages :-)... but it's a little
>> bit
>> discouraging :-S
>
> I can sympathise, but it's not that much work compared to writing
> code, and about as important.

for sure! I'll meditate meanwhile :-D

[...]

Thanks!