guix-devel

Re: Include Proot-static with binary releases

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Include Proot-static with binary releases
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 17:53:42 +0100

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 15:49:26 +0100
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> > Currently proot only build successfully on x86_64 and i686, so that is
> > something we would need to fix first.

Are you sure that is not just a limitation of the qemu transparent emulation?

I examined the test failures in proot-static and it's clear that qemu will have
some trouble finding out what one wants to happen:

>#include <unistd.h> /* execve(2), */
>#include <stdlib.h> /* exit(3), */
>#include <string.h> /* strcmp(3), */
>
>int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>{
>        if (argc == 0)
>                exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
>
>        execve("/proc/self/exe", NULL, NULL);
>        exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
>}

Now, qemu transparent emulation still picks up, but then the missing
argv[0] will be a problem.

And indeed,

$ guix environment -s armhf-linux proot-static
[...]
[env]$ ./test-25069c12
qemu: no user program specified