guix-devel

Re: Audio/sound (ALSA) in guix environment --container

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Audio/sound (ALSA) in guix environment --container
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 18:15:00 +0100

Hello!

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm trying to run an graphical application with audio in a Guix
> environment.
>
> So far:
>
> guix environment --container \
>   --share=/tmp/.X11-unix/ \
>   --share=/dev/snd \
>   --ad-hoc foo coreutils -- \
>   env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY foo "$@"
>

> I get this error:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1943:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) The field
> ipc_gid must be a valid group (create group audio)
>

> I though --share=/dev/snd would help, but I don't think that's useful.
> I tried creating the "audio" group in the container or adding the user
> to the group, to no avail:
>
>> guix environment -C --ad-hoc coreutils shadow
> address@hidden . [env]# groups
> groups: cannot find name for group ID 0
> 0 groups: cannot find name for group ID 65534
> 65534

Commit 952afb6f8c209692e52f9561965ee39e143e1d88 changes ‘guix
environment’ so that it creates /etc/group, using the brand new (gnu
build accounts) module.

Now ‘id’ and ‘groups’ work fine in containers.

Does it solve the specific problem you were having?  Maybe there are
other things that would need to be done, dunno.

I’m thinking we should change ‘guix environment -C’ to map to a UID
other than zero, at least by default.  When developing code, some tools
may behave differently when running under UID 0 and that’s rarely what
we need I think.  Thoughts?

Ludo’.