guix-devel

Re: Interested in working on Guix for Google Summer of Code

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Interested in working on Guix for Google Summer of Code
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 16:21:24 +0100

Hello Daniel!

Daniel Jiang <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a huge
> emacs user, and have been curious about Guix/GuixSD for a while now. I
> found it as a possible project on GSoC and thought it'd be interesting to
> help work on if possible. The organization page on GSoC said to contact the
> mentors and was directed to the mailing list from address@hidden I also
> recognize one of the mentors who wrote bindings to a game programming
> library for Guile because I was writing some for Common Lisp at the time,
> so small world lol. (I dunno if you're reading this or know I exist but
> hello davexunit?)

Nice!

> Anyways, are there additional steps to take or things to know other than
> submitting a GSoC proposal based on this?
> https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html

To get a feel of the project, I’d suggest installing it and giving it a
try for yourself.  You can install the “binary tarball” on top of your
distro if you don’t feel like jumping into the standalone Guix system:

  https://gnu.org/s/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html

Then we usually recommend that newcomers try adding a package definition
for their favorite piece of software.  It’s a good way to get started
with the code base:

  https://gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/
  https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html

> And what might be some ideas on the level for a undergrad with a bit of
> experience?
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2019#Guix_Deploy

I’m Cc’ing Dave Thompson (aka. davexunit) and Chris Webber
(aka. dustyweb) who would be your mentors, and I’ll let them answer.
:-)

Thank you for getting in touch with us!

Ludo’.