guix-devel

Re: custom kernel config

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: custom kernel config
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 22:04:04 +0300

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 01:08:14AM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I'm playing around with the idea of creating a custom kernel
>
> Cool!  I'm curious to know how you're passing the custom config in.  Are
> you using the #:extra-options keyword argument of the make-linux-libre
> procedure?  Are you passing in a procedure to generate the entire custom
> configuration via the #:configuration-file keyword argument?  Something
> else?

For the first one I used the #:extra-options route and compiled a list.
The second one I tried I created a custom kernel and left #:defconfig as
#f and inherited that to add a kconfig to the native-inputs.

Once I read a bit more of the kernel documentation it wasn't too bad to
create a list of what I needed.

tar xf $(guix build linux-libre -S)
cd linux-libre<tab>
touch .config
guix environment linux-libre
    make localmodconfig

copy that into .config and fix the formatting

    make localmodconfig

if that works well enough then add "CONFIG_MODULES=y" to .config and
you're ready to try it out. Stock kernel on my slow desktop took 243(?)
minutes, the custom kernel from localmodconfig took 21 minutes, but I
haven't tested it yet.

When I try again on my laptop I'm going to go again with #:extra-options
since I can define the localmodconfig options as
%macbook41-kernel-options and append to it other groups of modules, such
as filesystems, efi support, etc.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר