guix-devel

Re: custom kernel config

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: custom kernel config
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 16:52:36 +0200

Hello,

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:

> title: Creating and using a custom Linux kernel on Guix System
> date: 2019-04-04 00:00
> author: Efraim Flashner
> tags: kernel, customization

Really nice!

> (define-public linux-libre-E2140
>   (let ((base
>           ((@@ (gnu packages linux) make-linux-libre)
>            (@@ (gnu packages linux) %linux-libre-version)
>            (@@ (gnu packages linux) %linux-libre-hash)
>            '("x86_64-linux")
>            #:extra-version "E2140"
>            #:patches (@@ (gnu packages linux) %linux-libre-5.0-patches))))

Could we make all ‘make-linux-libre’ public to avoid the @@ there?
Otherwise it’s a bit scary, and not something we could recommend since
we’re accessing private variables.

As for %linux-libre-{version,hash}, what about simply doing:

  (package-version linux-libre)

and:

  (origin-sha256 (package-source linux-libre))

Likewise for the patches:

  (origin-patches (package-source linux-libre))

With this detail fixed, I’m all for publishing it!

Thanks for taking the time to write this!

Ludo’.