guix-devel

Introducting myself

From: Tanguy Le Carrour
Subject: Introducting myself
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 10:57:56 +0200

Dear Guix community,

I've been playing with GuixSD for few weeks now. I was looking for
a distribution recommended by the FSF, but was not pleased with Trisquel
or Parabola, so I ended up trying GuixSD. And I have to admit that
I haven't been disappointed! The documentation looks good, the installation
procedure is straight forward… so I decided to take the plunge and to install it
as my main OS on my [Vikings D8][1].

[1]: https://store.vikings.net/ryf-certified-hardware/d8ryf

As much as I was disappointed by `pacman` package manager, I really enjoy
using `guix` and I don't miss `sudo pacman -Sy some-mess` **at all**!!

And, icing on the cake, I read recently that you guys were
interested in the Hurd [3], a project I've been following for years
and even contributed a bit to.

[3]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00007.html

The picture is not all bright however, and things started to get complicated
when I tried to customize the system. I've been using Python as my main language
for more than 10 years and Guile is… something that I still have to get used to!
^_^'

As you might expect, I have a ton of questions! I might even have found
one bug or two that I'll post on the mailing list! And in a while, I hope,
I'll be able to contribute some package definitions. But before I do, I just
wanted to tell you that GuixSD really looks like a great project and that
you guys have done a great job! I hope to be able to play a role in the
future of Guix!

Best regards

--
Tanguy