guix-devel

Re: User shell: state or config?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: User shell: state or config?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 23:25:20 -0700

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:

>> All in all, I’m in favor of switching back to the previous behavior:
>> considering user shells as system config.  That’s a one-line change
>> in
>> (gnu build accounts).
>
> +1!

+1 from me as well.  Allowing the shell to be declaratively defined in
the system config, but also allowing a user to override it permanently
at runtime via chsh, seems like a nice middle ground between treating it
as "config" vs. "state".

I think in Guix System it is generally better to treat as much as
possible as "config".  After all, Guix System is basically an exercise
in extending the functional software deployment model to whole-system
management, right?

--
Chris