guix-devel

Re: User shell: state or config?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: User shell: state or config?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 12:51:03 +0200

Hello,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> All in all, I’m in favor of switching back to the previous behavior:
>>> considering user shells as system config.  That’s a one-line change
>>> in
>>> (gnu build accounts).
>>
>> +1!
>
> +1 from me as well.

Done in 504a0fc636ec591e65b4a229a37e522e425d8a0c.

> Allowing the shell to be declaratively defined in the system config,
> but also allowing a user to override it permanently at runtime via
> chsh, seems like a nice middle ground between treating it as "config"
> vs. "state".

In this particular case there’s no middle ground though: either you
consider state and then you have the problems I listed, or you consider
it config.  I did think there was a middle ground, until I realized the
implications.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Ludo’.