guix-devel

Re: Please merge guix-patches bug: 36789-36800

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Please merge guix-patches bug: 36789-36800
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 21:31:11 +0200

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for your quick answer.

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 at 20:47, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> wrote:

> You can perform actions like this yourself by sending mail to
> address@hidden.  Here's some documentation[0] and a
> caveat[1].

I did not know. I thought that only person with super power could do that.
So I will do.

However, I am not sure to understand how the merge needs to be ordered.
I have tried with 36789 and 36790.

> What I do is to just manually write a cover letter in my MUA, send
> it to guix-patches@, and wait for the response with the bug
> number.  I have to keep an eye on my inbox anyway, so I don't see
> the point of doing that on the command line.

If I understand well, the basic workflow is:

  git format-patch -N --cover-letter -o patches
  edit patches/0000-cover-letter.patch
  # send as you want patches/0000-cover-letter.patch to guix-patches@
  rm patches/0000-cover-letter.patch
  # wait the bug number
  git send-email --to=address@hidden patches/*.patch

Right?

> [0]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/server-control.html
> [1]: In practice, there are hard limits on the length of these
> commands (and possibly the number of commands in one mail).  I
> once sent a (scripted) ‘merge a b c d … j k l’ request and
> debbugs (silently) merged only the first n items.  I forget what n
> was.

Thank you.

All the best,
simon