guix-devel

Re: New outreachy participant introduction

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: New outreachy participant introduction
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 18:29:23 +0100

Asfaw, Nardos <address@hidden> writes:

> My name is Nardos, and I am an Outreachy participant from Indiana
> University, Bloomington. I am a first time open source contributor
> hopeful. I am excite to be here, but I will admit I am also a little
> nervous. I welcome feedback as I am here to learn from all of you. I
> can be reached at address@hidden or www.nardos.dev

Hello Nardos,

> I also have a few questions:
>
> 1. I am opting to run Guix in a virtual machine on a kali linux.  I
> have found this resource:
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Running-Guix-in-a-VM.html#Running-Guix-in-a-VM.
>  Given
> your experience, would this cause a problem down the line? Any
> recommendation on running Guix in a virtual machine vs on my PC?

If you're happy installing Guix as a package manager within Kali, that
might be easier than using a virtual machine. Both approaches should
work though, and when you have an idea of what contributions you want to
make, then you can work out which approach will be easier.

> 2. Upon making contributions, where is it posted? and how do I see
> feedbacks? I have seen lists of open projects and discussion treads
> such as this (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/22138) on the Guix
> patch tracker. Are these the issues we currently working on?

It depends on the contribution, but in general patches are sent to the
address@hidden email address, and then appear on the
https://issues.guix.info/ site. There's some relevant guidance here:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html#Submitting-Patches

> 3. Any beginner tips? and a good place to start?

I believe there are two Outreachy projects for Guix, so if you have a
particular one in mind, let us know.

If you're looking for where to begin contributing, it could be something
to do with one of the Outreachy projects, working on packages for Guix,
working on the documentation, fixing bugs, or something else.

But from your first question above, it looks like you've started in the
right place, getting Guix up and running on your machine is a
prerequisite to everything.

Chris