guix-devel

Re: [External] Re: New outreachy participant introduction

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: [External] Re: New outreachy participant introduction
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 07:48:24 +0100

Asfaw, Nardos <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Gabor,
>
> I apologize for the late reply.
>
>> How did the installation go?
>
> Based on your suggestion I was able to install it as a package manager
> on kali (I had help from the IRC chat group).

Great, good stuff :)

>> Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact
>> us. We are here to help.
>
> I am going through the packaging guide
> (https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/).  Are
> there more documentations on packaging? starting with packaging sounds
> interesting.

That guide is a really good place to start, there's also the reference
documentation in the manual [1], and the packages already within Guix
itself. It's really useful to look at how existing packages work, to
work out how to make new ones work in a similar way.

1:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/package-Reference.html#package-Reference

The next challenge is finding something to package, it needs to be
something not already packaged for Guix, but ideally where most or all
of the dependencies are already packaged for Guix. If you have ideas,
let us know and we can help work out how feasible they are.

One good starting point would be an importer, there are a set of
importers included in Guix that take a package definition from somewhere
else (like the Python package index, or Rubygems) and try to generate a
Guix package definition. If you're familiar with some packages from one
of the collections with a corresponding importer, that might be a good
place to start.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris