guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: brice
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 17:49:56 +0200

Hello Guix,

Since the shitshow seems unstoppable at this point, allow me to add my
little crap to it. I have contributed (very) few patches to Guix and
GNU, but mean to contribute more to Guix whatever the outcome of the
drama.

First I want to thoroughly thanks Ludovic Courtès, Ricardo Wurmus and
Andy Wingo for their work on Free Software, especially Guix! Even tough
I don’t agree with their point of view on RMS nor the way they promoted
it, I acknowledge that all this fine community wouldn’t be working
together if it would haven’t been for them and their love for Free
Software.

I think you made a mistake by publishing your statement under the GNU
domain. But since it only has been a few month since the move from
guix.info to guix.gnu.org I can understand why you have published it
there. And why you may not be in a position to redacted it now, without
the perception of loosing some ground. Asking to not comment the
statement on the mailing list wasn’t a great idea neither but since
their hasn’t been any censoring, of which I’m aware, not harm has been
done.

Jean Louis would you be so kind to stop making copypasta and spam it
makes the mailing list really hard to read and discredit your point of
view – of which I am mostly in accord with. The form makes it horrible
to understand and it has probably alienated some of the readers. Putting
Jean Louis on the moderation queue would help a lot in keeping the
mailing list healthy.

Jean Louis writes:
> So NO POLITICS IN GNU PROJECT!

I’m sorry, but as a lot of thing in life, the GNU project *is*
political. However the political scope of it is well defined by all the
links your repeatedly[1] use[2].

Jens Mølgaard <address@hidden> writes:
> […] Repeatedly demanding “evidence” or “facts” while ignoring and refusing to
> engage with any they are presented with.

>From all of what I have read on the Guix mailing list (and a few IRC
logs), I didn’t saw any evidence/facts. Only posts[3] where people
reported their negative *feelings* when they encountered RMS. People are
responsible for their own feelings, you can’t make someone else guilty
by making you feel bad.

I would really like for someone to change my mind on RMS wrongdoing by
actually providing evidence – that is recording or text of RMS in the
act of doing something reprehensible, not a report of someone recalling
feeling bad in his presence.

I really hope the Guix project will regain it’s peace and comradery.

Godspeed to you all!

[1] <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.html>
[2] <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>
[3] <http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2019-10-07.log#175307>
--
bricewge ~ 8929 BBC5 73CD 9206 3DDD  979D 3D36 CAA0 116F 0F99