guix-devel

Re: (Really) Free Software future

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: (Really) Free Software future
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 22:49:27 +0200

Hi,

isn't that what basically every Developer does? If I write a program and
it's elisp there is only as far as I know one interpreter and all libs I
use are also not replacable without rewriting code.

So is all my programmes I ever wrote also not Free software because it's
not based on some very primitive Kernel Systemcalls (that have to be
then not even linux specific right? Then 99% of GPL software out there
would not really be free software.

So that A only runs with B seems no good Definition you would have to
provide some other definition that makes Gnome here a special case.

I assume you would bring up that a DE is some sort of base level
software that is no application layer software in itself but part of a
Operation System, like the UI in Windows is also considered part of the
OS?

I could see that argument if Gnome would be the only grafical
environment for Linux in existence, and even then I wonder what's the
problem with rewriting it to run without systemd?

It's like saying a software that has not my wished Feature A / B / C is
not free software. But we don't meassure freedom in how much and which
features a software has.

Sorry to interject that discussion but maybe that is helpful?