guix-devel

Re: (Really) Free Software future

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: (Really) Free Software future
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 17:00:09 -0400

   > If systemD is be hard to replace, that is a kind of lock-in.  But it
   > isn't _vendor_ lock-in.  systemD, like most free software packages,
   > is not tied to any particular vendor.  Indeed, the usual concept of
   > "vendor" for free software is not applicable to free software at all.

   Sorry Richard, but it is really a vendor lock-in. As you know there is
   only one _upstream_ of systemd and that upstream is a company. Systemd
   software is developed by that company, and as you also know is that
   contributions, patches and bug reports coming from outside that company
   are frown upon. People reporting issues are even met with hostility.

Since it is free software, it would be easy for anyone to create
another such project.

   In conclusion: systemd is a _vendor_ lock-in. Fortunately Guix/Shepherd
   are not (yet??) using systemd, but they use e.g. eudev and elogind.

When Wolfgang and I designed GNU dmd (I don't know how much GNU
shepard has change from that, which is why I'm refering to it by its
original name), the idea was in some sense quite similar to how
systemd works.