guix-devel

Re: Stackage LTS 14 (was: Adding Purescript)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Stackage LTS 14 (was: Adding Purescript)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 13:57:01 +0200

Hi Timothy,

> One of the things I want to do this time is to do the upgrade in one
> mega commit.  I’m pretty sure that some of the commits last time had
> inconsistent package sets, which is not ideal.  I’m not sure how to
> avoid that upgrading one package at a time.  Hence, my rough plan is to
> start by setting GHC 8.6 as the compiler for the build system, and then
> run the refresh script with Stackage LTS 14.  After that, I will push
> the results to wip-haskell-updates and see how it goes.
>
> Ricardo, what do you think?  Are we okay to take over
> wip-haskell-updates?  Does a mega commit make sense or do you think
> that’s a bad idea?

Yes, you can take over wip-haskell-updates.

A single big commit is not a good idea, but you don’t really need it as
you’d merge the branch in one go, so Cuirass would not end up evaluating
any of the intermediate commits anyway.  It’s still good to have smaller
commits to better undo individual changes and more easily understand
related changes.

--
Ricardo