guix-devel

Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 21:38:21 +0200

"Alex Griffin" <address@hidden> writes:

> Great article, Pierre! I've known for a while how to do all this, but
> I still just used one big profile. Following along with your article,
> I finally went ahead and split it up.

While I was writing the blog and asking people around, I came to realize
this: it seems that most of the community doesn't use manifests or
multiple profiles so much :p  Which is a little ironic considering
"reproducible profiles" are the flagship of Guix! ;)

I hope that this article will help start a movement and get more users
on multiple profiles, which will help fixing the numerous multi-profile
issues that many packages suffer from:

- Emacs
- Aspell
- GST plugins

And probably many more...

> I noticed some typos though. This line has mismatched quotes:
>
>> export MANPATH=/path/to/profile${MANPATH:+:}$MANPATH"
>
> And this sentence is missing a couple words in the cookbook version:
>
>> This means that the exact same profile can be anytime, with

Will fix as soon as possible, thanks for reporting!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/