guix-devel

Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 12:19:42 +0000

Hey,

So this is something that might have come up in discussion once or
twice, but I've now got around to actually building a prototype.

You can see it here: http://prototype-guix-weekly-news.cbaines.net/

Now that I've actually spent some time implementing something, I feel
like this has led to more questions than I've answered. Could this be a
useful thing, and if so why, and to whom? Is weekly the right cadence?
What information should be included? Could it be available in multiple
languages? I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has any
thoughts on the above topics.

One thought I've had is that whatever the cadence (1 week, 2 weeks, a
month, ...), it should be stuck to, and importantly, this burden should
be automated so it isn't incurred by someone.

For example, this post [1] just includes a bunch of data extracted from
the Guix Data Service about the period in question, and a default
paragraph. Publishing this, or something like it could be completely
automated. Whereas, on this post, I've added some content, and set a
custom summary.

1: http://prototype-guix-weekly-news.cbaines.net/en_US/2019/41.html
2: http://prototype-guix-weekly-news.cbaines.net/en_US/2019/42.html

Regarding the data taken from the Guix Data Service, that probably needs
more thinking about. The list new packages for most weeks is rather too
long, so maybe this needs to be abbreviated in some way. Also, the
version changes list doesn't seem very useful, so maybe that should be
summarised or removed.

Let me know what you think, and also let me know if this is something
you'd be interested in helping out with!

Thanks,

Chris