guix-devel

Re: Profiles/manifests-related command line interface enhancements

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Profiles/manifests-related command line interface enhancements
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 12:14:15 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> By the way, the same should be possible from the installer:
>
> - Specify which channels you want to use.
> - Specify which config.scm you want to use.  Indeed, the config.scm
>   might rely on channels.
>
> This way, the Guix installation process would boil down to the above 2
> items, that is to say... 1 minute of the user time!  Great, no?

This does open some interesting possibilities, such as experts defining
personalized system configurations which are then easy to install for
anyone. Although I am not terribly fond of the idea of typing URLs into
an installer.

The bigger issue is config.scm - again unrestricted Guile code, like
manifests. That's not good for publishing because we shouldn't encourage
anyone to run unrestricted code from untrusted sources.

Cheers,
  Konrad.