guix-devel

Re: Packaging Jami progress

From: Jan
Subject: Re: Packaging Jami progress
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 21:40:10 +0100

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 19:07:56 +0100
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> See https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/38211.

Cool, thanks for building it!
As for the issue, I don't know if the Jami version I use is
stable, unfortunately some versions from the tarball repo contain bugs.
I can ask the devs about it.

I wanted to check if Jami compiles at all with the current state of
work, not to break already working things. Now, because we know it
compiles, I can improve the quality of the package and its
dependencies, and of course keep it updated.

My ideas:
- what about handling the package in a modular way and instead of
  having three separated packages, can we have one package with many
  outputs? For example jami:libring, jami:client-gnome,
  jami:libringclient, etc.
- finishing pjproject - the current package doesn't work at all, what
  works is pjproject-jami, because we disable some features. To prevent
  further breaking and not to keep a broken package it would be a right
  thing to do to finish it.
- support for other operating systems (???) Guix probably doesn't
  support this now, but we could build every Jami client in a
  reproducible way.
- easy to use Jami packages with guix pack for other distributions,
  using different init systems (support for autostart)? Or we can
  skip this and hope people will install Guix on their systems :)
- Jami daemon (libring) service for the Shepherd? I could do this, but
  I would have to learn about the Shepherd and daemons, since I know
  almost nothing.
- a small tutorial about maintaining a package, from the perspective of
  someone, who didn't know much about build systems and packaging.
  Things like where do you look for the needed dependencies, etc.

Jan Wielkiewicz