guix-devel

Re: Profiles/manifests-related command line interface enhancements

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Profiles/manifests-related command line interface enhancements
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 15:40:50 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 at 12:30, Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> If enough people are willing to work on this (beginners included!), we
> could run a "CLI working group" that plays with alternatives to the
> current CLI, implemented as a separate Guile package so it won't perturb
> business as usual. That requires a few people working on implementation,
> and a much larger group willing to test-drive the design(s) and provide
> feedback.

Do we open a Bug to track the discussion? Maybe first by synthesizing
what have already been proposed?
Or a Gitlab/GitHub/Name-it project?

> > Are you also suggesting a “GuixHub” (I already hate that name :-)) that
>
> That's not something I personally care about (I am all for the
> distributed Web), but if there's a demand, why not.

Do you propose that my channel repo lives on say Gitlab and it will be
registered on say GuixHub?
And GuixHub just eases the searching part.
Or something else?

>  guix channel add my-channel URL
>  guix channel remove my-channel
>  guix channel describe my-channel
>  guix channel show-all
>
> For channel creation, something like git's init:
>
>  guix make-channel directory-name

guix channel init directory-name

All the best,
simon