guix-devel

Re: qtwenengine anybody?

From: mike . rosset
Subject: Re: qtwenengine anybody?
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 07:45:06 -0800

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm glad to see there already has been some effort on this. I'll comment
> on the issue.
>
> Am 16.12.19 um 15:13 schrieb address@hidden:
>> This new monolithic package stills suffers from the same issue as my
>> modular qtwebengine. In that there are many in tree third party
>> dependencies. It's not trivial to simply switch to guix inputs for
>> these.
>
> IMO we should focus on a stand-alone qtwebengine package to avoid having
> packages depending on a *huge* monolith.

This is the most ideal situation. However the modular qtwebengine makes
some assumptions which are not compatible with guix. For examples it
assumes it will be installed in the same prefix as qtbase. Which is not
possible with guix. The problem is also not readily obvious until you
try to use qtwebengine in a library or a program. Which will causes
locale and translation path issues.

For the nomad browser I had had some hacks to get around this. But those
hacks won't work in all cases. Because it's dependent on arg0
location. Which is not consistent when using an interpreter like guile
or python or if you are using qtwebengine from a dynamic library.
As of yet I have not found a proper way to resolve this.

I believe the monolithic qt package at this time is the shortest route
to having a sane working qtwebengine, until the locale issues can be
resolved.

Mike