guix-devel

Packaging pd

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Packaging pd
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 13:09:07 +0200

Hello,

I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
two letter software names! I would like to package
  pd - Primal-Dual Methods for Vertex and Facet Enumeration
  http://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner/software/pd/

Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?

Then is there a point in packaging it at all? This is more or less a
one-shot research software, I think, with no versioning. So maybe not
relevant enough? (Let us have this Wikipedia discussion!) In that case,
I would like to add it to the guix-past channel, since I need it for
the 10 years reproducibility challenge, so the naming question still
stands. By the way, how are naming conflicts between channels resolved?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Andreas