guix-devel

Re: Improve ASDF build system for Common Lisp libraries

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Improve ASDF build system for Common Lisp libraries
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 12:36:00 +0200

Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> writes:

> I thought about having the sources, SBCL compiled files and ECL compiled
> files respectively in the 'out', 'sbcl' and 'ecl' packages outputs;
> however I thought there could be issues in some cases.
>
> For example, if a profile contained cl-xyz and cl-xyz:sbcl, and if the
> user tried to load this xyz system in ECL, then I think ECL would try
> to compile the system and write the compiled files to cl-xyz:sbcl and
> fail because it is read-only. That's because cl-xyz:sbcl contains the
> ASDF configuration indicating "the compiled files for cl-xyz are in
> cl-xyz:sbcl", and ECL is going to read that configuration.
>
> It might be possible to have smarter ASDF configuration files behaving
> differently depending on the lisp implementation running, but I have not
> investigated this for the moment.

There is probably a way to tell where to load the libraries from, and
where to compile them.

By default, each compiler compiles to
~/.cache/common-lisp/$compiler_name-$compiler_version.

This is what ECL should do here.  The ASDF configuration should be so
that it does not change this  behaviour.

If you can't figure it out I can give it a shot.  Otherwise let's ask
the ASDF people.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt