guix-devel

Re: Adding Substitute Mirrors page to installer

From: raid5atemyhomework
Subject: Re: Adding Substitute Mirrors page to installer
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 06:39:49 +0000

Hello Maxime,

> raid5atemyhomework schreef op ma 31-05-2021 om 09:42 [+0000]:
>
> > bump
> >
> > > bump
>
> To me it seems all questions have been addressed,
> though I was not involved in the discussion.
> So, maybe time to merge?
>
> See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-03/msg00294.html
> for the patches.

I am not really satisfied with the patch as-is, and I have this question:

>     For example, perhaps the result of a page is not an AST that is a field
> of an `operating-system` form, but instead a procedure that accepts a
> `(operating-system ...)` form and returns it.
>     Most existing pages would just append their keyed sub-form.
>     However the `mirrors` page would modify an existing `services` field in
> the input `operating-system` form instead.

Of course, implementing the above has some problems:

* It is not a trivial change and it would take me a lot of time.
* Nobody has responded to the above **prose** description of the idea, so I am
very reluctant to invest in the time to implement the idea since nobody may end
up reviewing the actual **code** implementation, which of course will be less
easy to understand than the above prosody.

I will not object if the existing patch is merged in, but I will not work on
the above idea until somebody actually responds to it somehow.

Thanks
raid5atemyhomework