guix-devel

Re: Idea: a meta language for (language) build systems - npm, Racket, Ru

From: Adriano Peluso
Subject: Re: Idea: a meta language for (language) build systems - npm, Racket, Rust cargo
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 10:59:33 +0200

Il giorno mar, 01/06/2021 alle 08.24 +0200, Leo Prikler ha scritto:

> > A sexp-pack would represent the most simple build instructions to
> > build a package on its own. Now, of course the current guix-
> > builders
> > solve that too. But, what I am proposing is to split out the actual
> > build step into a package definition, so as to present something
> > simpler to Guix.
> I don't think this would be simpler to Guix, you'd just create even
> more packages, that actually aren't usable.

The output could be a collection of .tar.gz files distributed through
ipfs, bittorrent, syncthing or rsync

Not necessarily packages in the way Guix intends them

I understand there's already some work going on to reproduce tarballs
in a format convenient to Guix (maybe with proper hashes and metadata
?) for when they get erased by distributors