guix-devel

Re: Idea: a meta language for (language) build systems - npm, Racket, Ru

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Idea: a meta language for (language) build systems - npm, Racket, Rust cargo
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 19:35:15 -0400

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> writes:

> Hi Pjotr,
>

> The next message to get across is the need for cross-language build
> systems. The idea of one language, one platform doesn't work any more.
> Real software systems need to mix languages, even runtimes. And it's not
> just X + C any more either. Again, Guix serves as the proof of concept,
> even for people who dislike some specific implementation aspect of Guix.

Thinking about "cross-language build systems" reminds me of Zig cc

https://andrewkelley.me/post/zig-cc-powerful-drop-in-replacement-gcc-clang.html

#+BEGIN SRC sh
andy@ark ~/tmp> cat hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
    fprintf(stderr, "Hello, World!\n");
    return 0;
}

andy@ark ~/tmp> zig cc -o hello.exe hello.c -target x86_64-windows-gnu
andy@ark ~/tmp> wine64 hello.exe
Hello, World!
andy@ark ~/tmp> zig cc -o hello hello.c -target mipsel-linux-musl
andy@ark ~/tmp> qemu-mipsel ./hello
Hello, World!
andy@ark ~/tmp> zig cc -o hello hello.c -target aarch64-linux-gnu
andy@ark ~/tmp> qemu-aarch64 -L
~/Downloads/glibc/multi-2.31/install/glibcs/aarch64-linux-gnu ./hello
Hello, World!
#+END_SRC

I think that's pretty cool!

--