guix-devel

Re: Idea: a meta language for (language) build systems - npm, Racket, Ru

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Idea: a meta language for (language) build systems - npm, Racket, Rust cargo
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:48:45 +0200

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 12:04:59AM +0200, Leo Prikler wrote:
> Soon: There are 15 competing build systems

Very true ;)

> Guix as a build system, with or without GWL, is fine as long as it's
> just fun and games, but it comes with the serious downside of not being
> compatible with any other distro out there.  Perhaps that works out for

Maybe. I can still support cargo - just don't want to deal with it...
A Debian target would not be too hard.

> What we need in order to make packages written in Rust less of a PITA
> is more widespread usage of generic build systems like make or meson.
> We won't get there with cargo cult programming.  On a somewhat related
> note, I find it amusing, that Rust folk dread the usage of Rust without
> cargo, as if the Rust standard library on its own was somehow worthless
> or something :P

Meson may be good enough (indeed). I have one project that uses meson
effectively and it is not bad. But I had to look up a lot of things -
it is sometimes counterintuitive and hardly simple. Sure beats cmake
and autotools. Still, it could be simpler.

Pj.