guix-devel

Re: python-distlib vs python-distlib/next

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: python-distlib vs python-distlib/next
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:01:32 +0200

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> This broke the *installation* (not the build) of other packages such
> as python-pygenometracks.  The reason is that the closure of
> python-pygenometracks would include both python-distlib and
> python-distlib/next.  Guix would then prevent the installation of
> python-pygenometracks into user profiles:
>
>> guix package: error: profile contains conflicting entries for
>> python-distlib
>> guix package: error:   first entry: python-distlib@0.3.1
>> /gnu/store/mypg42bass5n61liwyq7llrwla4w8bny-python-distlib-0.3.1
>> guix package: error:    ... propagated from python-virtualenv@20.2.1
>> guix package: error:    ... propagated from python-tox@3.20.0
>> guix package: error:    ... propagated from
>> python-argh@0.26.2-1.dcd3253
>> guix package: error:    ... propagated from
>> python-gffutils@0.9-1.4034c54
>> guix package: error:    ... propagated from
>> python-pygenometracks@3.3
>> guix package: error:   second entry: python-distlib@0.3.0
>> /gnu/store/fwya18dazamh2cjdkgh5wpxi7lqn4fcm-python-distlib-0.3.0
>> guix package: error:    ... propagated from
>> python-sortedcontainers@2.1.0
>> guix package: error:    ... propagated from
>> python-intervaltree@3.0.2
>> guix package: error:    ... propagated from
>> python-pygenometracks@3.3
>
> We can’t easily detect these problems because they only strike at
> installation time.  This means that we may not do partial upgrades
> in the Python world due to the quirks of propagation.  There may be
> other packages that are broken in a similar fashion right now.

‘guix lint’ catches that:

$ guix lint -c profile-collisions python-pygenometracks
gnu/packages/bioinformatics.scm:11896:2: python-pygenometracks@3.3: propagated
inputs python-distlib@0.3.1 and python-distlib@0.3.0 collide

The Data Service should notice these new warnings, though I was unable
to find it, and
<http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/b5ed51bdf93de46e0852fda3738690f820ada439/lint-warnings?locale=en_US.UTF-8&package_query=python-virtualenv&linter=profile-collisions&message_query=&field=linter&field=message&field=location>
doesn’t seem to have this warning.

We definitely need automated feedback before a patch can be applied.

Another thing we could do is have ‘guix lint’ check the dependents of a
package in addition to the package itself in some cases (maybe just for
‘profile-collisions’?).

Thoughts?

Ludo’.