guix-devel

Re: Removal of Python 2?

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Removal of Python 2?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 20:32:14 +0200

Hi Ludo and Simon,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> What we could do is start removing ‘python2-’ packages, especially those
> with a non-negligible maintenance cost (numpy, scipy, matplotlib, etc.).
> We can move them to the Guix-Past channel if there’s interest.

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. With the long-term goal of moving
python2 itself to guix-past, if it ever ceases to be an important
dependency (which I am not yet convinced of).

> The attached script lists unused ‘python2-’ leaf packages:
> Are these good candidates for removal?

These and more: once they are removed, there will be a new set of leaf
packages.

It might be worth checking if there is a Python 3 equivalent before
removing a library. But in the majority of cases there is.

> Starting with e13ab46c2052609c4ad792aeb304a752b50d034e, I remove the
> broken leaf Python2 packages.  I find them using "guix weather" and
> "guix refresh -l".  More are coming. ;-)

It certainly makes sense to remove broken packages, but for the rest I'd
say guix-past is a better destination than the trashcan.

Cheers,
  Konrad