guix-devel

Re: Removal of Python 2?

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Removal of Python 2?
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 08:37:26 +0200

Hi Ryan,

> Python 2 is no longer supported, but the Tauthon project [1] is
> continuing support and backporting features from Python 3. We should

Didn't know about Tauthon, thanks for the pointer!

> consider packaging Tauthon in Guix and updating packages to depend on

Yes, that sounds like an interesting strategy to explore. One potential
obstacle is that most of the Python2-dependent package are out of
maintenance as well. But then, many of them don't need any maintenance.

If we introduce Tauthon, we should probably untie its dependents from
the Python (3) version, i.e. stop deriving them from Python 3 package
definitions. The latter will ever more evolve in an incompatible way.

Cheers,
  Konrad.