guix-devel

Re: Removal of Python 2?

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Removal of Python 2?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:41:19 +0200

Hi Hartmut,

> Python 2 is dead, dead, dead like the parrot and end-of-prolonged life
> as of more than 1 1/2 years. Anyhow, there might still be quite some
> software not ported to Python 3 after 10 years. So I'm afraid we need to
> keep Python 2.

At this time, more than 2500 packages still depend on Python 2, and
that's not just Python libraries. The list includes packages such as
TeXlive, LLVM, Rust, OpenJDK, Calibre, OCaml, qemu, etc.

For many of these packages, Python 2 is used only as part of the build
procedure. Which is run in a highly protective sandbox. So I don't think
we need to worry much about having Python 2 in Guix. To discourage
people from installing it by accident, we could make it a hidden
package.

Cheers,
  Konrad.