guix-devel

Re: 5c8369d6c1 gnu: Add python2-twodict ?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: 5c8369d6c1 gnu: Add python2-twodict ?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 00:04:57 -0400

Hello Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan <rg@raghavgururajan.name> writes:

[...]

>> Python 2 is EOL since a long time now
>
> Ah I see. I didn't know that.
>
>> package youtube-dl-gui is from 2018 and the release 0.4 from 2017.
>> Well, I do not know if it is worth to update such package. :-)
>
> I first thought the same, but it seems the app is feature complete and
> no additional changes.
>
> That said, considering deprecation of python2 by python upstream, this
> package should have been ported to python3.
>
>> I propose to deprecate this package because it will be removed soon or later.
> Yeah, since python2 is deprecated. We could deprecate
> youtube-dl-gui. Should we do this is as a batch, removing all python2
> packages?

Perhaps youtube-dl-gui could be removed along the python2 *leaf*
packages that are orphaned as a result.

The consensus for Python 2 packages is that they have to go, but that
it's OK for their removal to be gradual.  They tend to break because
upstream often stops supporting Python 2 and can thus be phased out
naturally when it happens this way.

It's a good exercise to try to "free" important packages from any Python
2 appearing in their closure.

Thanks,

Maxim