guix-devel

Re: Disarchive update

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Disarchive update
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 15:22:29 +0200

Hi!

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skribis:

>>   https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/29213?status=succeeded
>
> Nice! It looks like an expensive operation, maybe we should increase its
> period to 24 hours or so?

Yes, I’ve made it 12 hours now.  :-)

It shouldn’t be too expensive: there’s one derivation per tarball
disarchive and very few of them get rebuilt between subsequent
evaluations; disarchive-collection.drv depends on all of them.

However, I think the current model of Cuirass means that those
intermediate derivations aren’t retrieved on berlin so we’re potentially
building things multiple times?

>>   2. On berlin, add an mcron job that periodically copies the output of
>>      the latest “disarchive-collection” build to a directory, say
>>      /srv/disarchive.  Thus, the database would accumulate tarball
>>      metadata over time.
>
> We could add the result as a "build-product" so that it is available at:
> https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search/latest/disarchive-collection. The mcron
> job could use this URL to fetch the latest archive.

That’d be nice!  How do we do that again?

I was planning on retrieving the derivation file name in the mcron job
using the (guix ci) API, but having a build product may simplify things
a bit.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.