guix-devel

Re: --with-source version not honored?

From: Phil
Subject: Re: --with-source version not honored?
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:46:43 +0100

Hi

zimoun writes:

> It reminds me this thread:
>
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-09/msg00022.html>

Thanks this is an interesting thread - I stumbled upon a quirk trying to
find the right combination of switches.

I found that if I do this (which I think is bad):

guix environment --with-source=foobar@9.5.0=/path/to/package
some-package-that-depends-on-foobar --ad-hoc foobar

This gives me the warning that with-source will have no effect on
some-package-that-depends-on-foobar, but that's not strictly true here.

In this case the depending package's dependencies are installed into the
environment including the original version of foobar (9.0.1) first, but this
is then overwritten by foobar@9.0.5 - I can see files from
both packages under the site-packages for foobar.

Weirdly this is almost what I was trying to do:
"Install some-package-that-depends-on-foobar, but rebuilt with the version of
foobar from with-source."

However the reason it works is probably not intended behavior.

I couldn't work out an incantation that provided this facility properly
- my best guess was:

guix environment --with-source=foobar@9.5.0=/path/to/package
--with-inputs=foobar=foobar@9.5.0 some-package-that-depends-on-foobar

Which returns that it can't find foobar@9.5.0.

I figure at this point I might have more luck if I drop into Guile to do
this, but it's always a win when I can do it as a one-liner in shell.

Any ideas if I can create a new package with --with-source and then
substitute it in the same command for an input of another package?