guix-devel

Re: Public guix offload server

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Public guix offload server
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 18:31:49 +0200

Hi Simon,

zimoun 写道:
If I understand correctly, if a committer offloads to say Berlin or Bayfront, your concern is that the output will be in the publicly
exposed store.  Right?

No, that would be far worse. I'm considering only a ‘private’ offload server shared by several trusted users, where one compromised (whether technically or mentally :-) user can easily ‘infect’ other contributors in a way that's very hard to detect. ‘Trusting trust’ comes to mind.

For instance, one could imagine a dedicated VM for all the committers
who require some CPU power.

Right, that's what I'm describing in my previous mail.

Now, we could spin up a separate VM for each user, and just take the efficiency hit… Users would be safe from anything but VM-escape exploits (which exist but are rare).

A minimal job submission API with token would be ideal, IMHO. But it
falls into:

        Now is better than never.
        Although never is often better than *right* now.

                                    – python -c 'import this' –

What does this mean?

Kind regards,

T G-R