guix-devel

Re: Public guix offload server

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Public guix offload server
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 18:54:11 -0400

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 11:06:05PM +0200, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Guix is not content-addressed.  Any [compromised] user can upload arbitrary
> malicious binaries with store hashes identical to the legitimate build.
> These malicious binaries can then be downloaded by other clients, which
> presumably all have commit access.

Interesting... I'm not at all familiar with how `guix offload` works,
because I've never used it. But it's surprising to me that this would be
possible. Although after one minute of thought, I'm not sure why it
wouldn't be.

However, the Guix security model trusts committers implicitly. So, if
the committers' shared offload server had proper access control, one
might consider it "good enough" in terms of security. Although the
possibility of spreading malicious binaries is much scarier than what
could be achieved by committing to guix.git, because of the relative
lack of transparency.