guix-devel

Re: Public guix offload server

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Public guix offload server
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:22:42 -0700

On 2021-10-21, Joshua Branson wrote:
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 02:23:49AM +0530, Arun Isaac wrote:
>>> WDYT? How does everyone else handle big builds? Do you have access to
>>> powerful workstations?
>>
>> Now I have access to a very powerful system on which I can test builds.
>>
>> I agree that the Guix project should offer some powerful compute
>> resources to Guix developers. Efficiency is important for staying
>> motivated.
>
> I've got an old Dell Optiplex 7020 with 30 gigs of RAM with a 3TB
> hard-drive just sitting around.  My landlord and ISP is ok with me
> running a server.  I just set everything up.  Would this be
> powerful/interesting to some?

I wonder if OSUOSL (or maybe other organizations) would be willing to
provide a nice big server with access restricted to guix committers or
something?

  https://osuosl.org/services/hosting/

I know they provide some very capable machines for reproducible builds
and numerous other projects... (machines capable of running many virtual
machines, FWIW)

(And some POWER9 machines for guix, if I recall...)

Then it could run "guix publish" and people could log in and run builds
as they wished, and download the results via typical methods... still a
little danger of poisoning the store if people use the binaries on
production hardware... but... can only do so much hand-holding, right?
:)

live well,
  vagrant